Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Less Binge, More Purge

No, I'm not considering an eating disorder...


This time of year, every year, I feel like getting rid of stuff. I'm not sure if it's all the loot that just arrived by Santa's sleigh or being "stuck in the house" for winter, but I definitely have the urge to purge. This is the sort of thing that I have to harness and ride when I get it because when I'm not in the mood, it's a pretty daunting task, and if I'm feeling a little melancholy or nostalgic, it's hard to get rid of things.


This week, I've been going through stuff in my office area which has been a WRECK for months. It'll take some time and dedication to get through all the rubble, but I made a good dent and a lot of stuff got tossed. Pipsqueak got inspired when she got home from school one day and cleaned out some of her art supplies that are kept near my office area. She found a good pile of stuff to get rid of, too. I noticed all the Disney Princess stuff is going... the end of an era.


I also feel like buying less. That should be easy; stay out of stores and delete online sale announcements without looking at them. I need to start shopping in my own house. I have plenty of books and craft supplies, which are my weaknesses, so it's time to start reading them and using them instead of buying more. I'll still allow myself the occasional thrift shop spree. Yesterday I went to Border's and TJ Maxx looking for a present for a birthday party. The only thing I bought was the present even though there were lots of great sales going on. The reward of shopping less will be two-fold: I'll have less stuff coming in the house and I'll be saving money.

3 comments:

Liz said...

I know what you mean about the urge to purge. Lately I've wanted to get rid of 75% of the stuff in my house!

Anonymous said...

I have the propensity to buy art supplies that I never use. I guess I should be relieved that my favorite "crack house" just closed its doors... Geez, if I'd had my card with me I probably would have bought display fixtures from them today...

kanishk said...

its great post
home jobs without registration

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map