Steak, Guinness and Cheese Pie
2 pounds beef brisket, cut in 1 inch cubes
1 frozen puff pastry sheet, defrosted
3 onions, sliced
1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T butter
2 sticks celery, sliced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 pound or so crimini mushroom, sliced
1 large bottle Guinness
1 heaping T flour
1 small can beef stock
2 handfuls shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten lightly with fork
1 package frozen peas
1. Saute onion in a large heavy pot in a little olive oil.
2. Stir in rosemary.
3. Add garlic, saute about 30 seconds.
4. Add butter, stir until melted.
5. Add celery, onions and mushrooms. Saute about 3 minutes.
6. Add beef, a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir until well mixed.
7. Stir in flour.
8. Add 3/4 of the bottle of Guinness. (Drink the rest while you cook.)
9. Pour in beef stock to top off. Liquid should not fully cover other ingredients.
10. Bake at 350 degrees in oven safe pot or bowl. For saucier pie, cook covered. For thicker pie, cook uncovered. Or do a combination of both to suit your preference.
11. When filling comes out of oven, stir in one handful of cheese.
12. Put filling in a 8-10" square pan (glass or stoneware is best).
13. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
14. Place puff pastry on top of filling.
15. Brush top of pastry with beaten egg.
16. Score top of pastry lightly with knife for venting.
17. Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until bubbly and golden.
18. Serve with cooked frozen peas.
Serves 4 to 6.