Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My Wandering Mind

With a martini in hand (very dry, very dirty, shaken) and my mind racing, I'm not sure how coherent I'll be. This could be a lesson in the reasons why you shouldn't drink and blog.

Vacation

We're leaving Thursday for a week in Washington, D.C. I haven't been there since 1978, and I'm looking forward to sharing all my favorites with Pipsqueak and discovering some new things. Why does going away have to be so stressful? I wish it was as simple as marking out the time on the calendar and throwing a few things in a bag. Instead, there's all this planning and preparing: how will we get there, where will we stay, what will we do, who will watch the dog and the fish, are the bills paid, how warm/cold will it be there... don't forget to hold the mail, take the garbage out, pay any bills that are do.

And I hate packing! It's not the act of putting clothes in the bag; it's deciding what to bring. I don't want to need something I don't have, but I don't want a lot of stuff I don't need either.

Portuguese Water Dogs

Pirates are threatening retaliation, the economy is still in the gutter, unemployment is skyrocketing and we're still fighting a war. But what is making headlines today? The president's dog, and whether or not it is a rescue! Come on. Who really cares. It sounds like going to the pound and getting the one that tugged most at their heartstrings was not an option because of their daughter's allergies. Give them a break, people, and let's concentrate on what's really important.

Taxes

Tomorrow there will be a giant sucking sound as the IRS removes money from our account. I hope they make good use of my money. I was thinking a new kitchen floor and/or lighting. Perhaps I should invite the IRS over to have a look at my ugly yellow linoleum that's starting to crack, take pity on me and return my money. Fat chance!

I'm going to try to blog about my trip while I'm away providing that I can tap into a wireless internet connection. Since I travel with my own private IT guy, who is also the guy I sleep with, chances are good.

6 comments:

~Molly~ said...

oooh what a fun trip!!! I love Washington D.C.!! I know what you mean about the prep though, sigh. We are headed out Friday morning to Ft. Worth, about 3 hours from us. We're supposed to visit the zoo Friday afternoon but weather.com is calling for a 70% chance of rain. Saturday should be nice for our trip to the Botanical Gardens. They're having the 25th annual Japanese Festival complete with origami making, martial arts and Korean dancers. I can't wait but for just those two days its such a hassle to arrange pet care, packing, meal/food stuff and so forth!

Molly

ps, we're keeping the kitty, lol. No way I can give him to my mom, much as she thinks she wants him, he is bonded to me as his surrogate mom. Still no name though.

Anonymous said...

*have fun on your trip.

*i hate hearing about presidential dogs! really, really hate it. i used to dread every year when the bushes scottish terriers had the christmas video. ugh. so nauseating.

*looking forward to your trip updates!

kadler said...

That's awesome you're going on a trip. Have fun!

And I completely agree about the dog. There are plenty of hypoallergenic breeds that you can find in a shelter (or on PetFinder). They clearly wanted a puppy, which is much more difficult to adopt. I was extremely disappointed at the choice.

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Um...drinking and blogging is essential. Its pretty much required. Unless you're a Mormon Mommy Blogger.

Lorilee said...

Hi Betts,
My personal theory is that a glass of wine makes a bletter bog oops, I meant better blog! Have fun on your trip. I know what you mean about the preparation for trips!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Liz said...

I've only been to DC once - for a day, so I can't wait to see your pictures.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map