Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Par Jamais

I was at a loss about what to post today, but then something happened. We were just finished with dinner and Pipsqueak was thinking about her dessert choice. She announced that she wanted Par Jamais. Sweetie and I looked at each other with intrigue and amazement. Where had she come up with this?

She doesn't speak French other than a few words often used on trips to Canada, e.g. bon jour, bon soir, merci, au revoir. We asked what this Par Jamais might consist of. "I'll show you," she announced proudly. She brought the following ingredients to the table: ice cream (she informed us that flavor didn't matter, however, our in stock flavor was chocolate chip cookie dough), snack-pack chocolate pudding and Hershey's chocolate syrup. For the sake of cleanliness, I offered to construct said Par Jamais under her tutelage. I was instructed to place two small scoops of ice cream in a dish and place chocolate pudding between the scoops, finally topping everything with swirls of chocolate sauce.
While Pipsqueak and Sweetie devoured her creation, I hit the French/English dictionary. "Par" mean through or by way of. "Jamais" means never. From my four years of French in high school, I remember that modifiers sometimes follow what they modify, so I'll give this a loose translation of "never through" which I think is a great name for a dessert.

4 comments:

Betty said...

Looks good!! I would go for one of those right now!
Smart girl!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yum! "Par jamais" sounds to me like "for never", the same kind of play on "forever" as it would be in English. I've never heard of it, but it sounds like a keeper.

~Molly~ said...

Good grief, what smart children!!!LOL That looks woooonderful!

Molly

ps, love the snow pic in today's post!

Aunt Becky said...

Awww! What a sweet kid.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map